So far, we have:
- Formally adopted a diversity, equity, and inclusion statement.
- Added a formal color-conscious casting policy to our Operations Manual.
- All Board members who served in 2020 took part in diversity trainings in August of 2020.
- Newly-elected and current board members are currently engaged in a book reading and discussion as part our continued training.
- Established an Outreach Committee, and selected two co-diversity liaisons.
- Revamped season and director selection processes to include more voices and engage our diverse community, with a concentrated focus on playwrights, composers, and lyricists whose work reflects a diversity of experiences. (Though we haven’t selected any shows since making these commitments, and are still trying to determine the safest way to handle a 2021/2022 season, we will use this revamped process going forward.)
- Completed a survey of Company leadership, Board of Directors, affiliated artists, contributors, and patrons focused on identifying areas of strength and growth related to the Company’s anti-racist and anti-oppressive structures and practices.
In response to the survey results and in consultation with the Diversity Liaisons and membership, the Board has adopted a plan as a first step towards improvement. Among other items, the plan includes:
- adopting organizational values,
- refocusing on Bowie as the community we serve,
- enhancing access to and transparency of Company decision-making,
- establishing a bias incident reporting process, and
- expanding organizational social activities to increase access to the Board and enable volunteers to connect outside of a show-specific setting.
We’re still working on:
- Engaging diverse production staff, performers, and patrons. This work will be ongoing as we return to producing live theatre.
- Developing diverse connections within the community, including but not limited to schools, churches, businesses, neighborhood organizations, and other arts organizations. This will be ongoing work by the Outreach committee after the pandemic ends.