Black Lives Matter. Black Voices Matter. Black Stories Matter. Black Art Matters.
We hear you and we stand with you.
The Board of Directors of 2nd Star Productions recognizes that we have not done enough towards making our company truly representative of the community it serves. Our board of directors, our productions, our production teams, and our casts have not reflected the racial diversity of Bowie, Prince George’s County, and the surrounding Washington, DC Area. Although we at 2nd Star are saddened to have to pause our operations during the pandemic, we plan to use this pause to refocus our energies and efforts toward creating meaningful change in our organization.
We believe that:
- Everyone deserves equal access to a full, vibrant creative life, which is essential to a healthy and democratic society.
- 2nd Star must ensure that the stories we share with our audience resonate with more than a single group. This intercultural and intersectional approach allows for a diverse audience to come together around a shared story and recognizable experiences.
At 2nd Star, we commit to:
- Formally adopting a diversity, equity, and inclusion statement that will inform all of our policies and procedures as a company. To be completed at our next Membership meeting in July 2020.
- Adding a formal color-conscious casting policy to our Operations Manual, and including color-conscious practices as part of the on-boarding of Board members and production staff. Manual update to be completed at our next Membership meeting in July 2020. On-boarding will be ongoing once we can resume productions.
- Requiring all 2nd Star Board members to participate in diversity and inclusion training annually. We acknowledge that there is much work to be done and much we do not know. To be completed by the end of August. In future years, it will be between March and the end of June following elections.
- Establishing a newly formed Outreach Committee, including a diversity liaison, to engage diverse production staff, performers, and patrons and focus on expanding diversity at all levels of our organization. Our outreach liaison will also serve as an accountability partner to ensure that the Board is on track to meeting commitments and establishing new ones as 2nd Star continues to grow. Liaison and Committee to be set no later than September. Targeted outreach will be incorporated into season and director selection fall/winter 2020, and into other activities as 2nd Star can resume them in light of the pandemic.
- Ensuring that show selection excites and engages our diverse community, with a concentrated focus on playwrights, composers, and lyricists whose work reflects a diversity of experiences. Ongoing each year, starting with the fall/winter 2020 process as we select our 2021/2022 season.
We welcome any dialogue and thoughts that the community has for how we can make 2nd Star a safe and uplifting place for all. We can be reached at 2ndStarBowie@gmail.com, or if you would rather remain anonymous use this link to share your thoughts. https://buff.ly/2C2FdbV